Interested in becoming a certified lifeguard?
Harvard University Aquatics is offering American Red Cross certification classes for Lifeguard Training, complete with CPR/AED and First Aid. We also offer Lifeguard Training Review courses for those currently certified as American Red Cross Lifeguards.
In order to participate in an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Participants must be 15 years of age on or before the last scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards without goggles. Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend all class sessions.
Blended Learning Classes:
We offer both traditional certification courses as well as Blended Learning web-based/in-classroom style courses. Blended Learning combines online learning with in-person skills sessions conducted by a Red Cross certified instructor. The blended learning online sessions offer students a variety of elements to learn program content including videos, lesson narration and special interactive features. This allows for individualized, self-paced learning. Once the online session has been successfully completed, students practice skills and are assessed by the instructor during the in-person skills sessions.
Upcoming Course Schedule:
Participants in the Lifeguard Training course will be provided with all equipment including access to an electronic version of the textbook and pocket masks. Participants in the Lifeguard Training Review course must provide their own adult and pediatric pocket masks.
Interested in becoming an American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor?
Harvard University Aquatics also offers American Red Cross certification classes for Lifeguarding Instructor Training and review courses for Lifeguarding Instructors and Instructor Trainers.
- Lifeguarding Instructor courses certify individuals to teach basic-level American Red Cross Lifeguarding courses.
The Lifeguarding Instructor/Instructor Trainer review course is an abbreviated recertification course for currently certified instructors and instructor trainers. The purpose of the course is to allow participants to review the course content and practice skills in a formal class setting and complete the final written exam. (Instructors or instructor trainers whose certification was withdrawn for any reason are not eligible to participate in the instructor review course).
Upcoming Course Schedule:
More Classes Coming Soon!
In order to participate in an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Participants must be at least 17 years of age on the last day of the instructor course.
- Must possess a current basic-level certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
In order to participate in an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor/Instructor Trainer Review course, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current (r.2017) American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certifications and/or
- Possess a current (r.2017) American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor Trainer certification.
Participants in the Lifeguarding Instructor Training course will be provided with a copy of the Lifeguard Instructor's Manual. Participants must provide their own adult and pediatric pocket masks.
Particiapants in the Lifeguarding Instructor/Instructor Trainer Review class must provide their own print version of the Instructor's Manual as well as their own adult and pediatric pocket masks.
Lifeguard Training: $250
Lifeguard Training Review: $175
Lifeguarding Instructor Training: $300
Lifeguarding Instructor/Instructor Trainer Review: $100
There is a $50 non-refundable fee to register for all classes. Reimbursements, minus the $50 non-refundable fee upon registration, are only granted for documented medical conditions and withdrawal requests made at least two weeks prior to the class start date.
Pre-registration is required for all classes; same day registration is not available. Online registration is available and can be accessed here.
If you are registering for a Lifeguard Training Review course or a Lifeguard Instructor Training course, copies of your current basic-level certifications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before your class instructions and assignments can be sent to you.
Please note, the coordination of our Lifeguard Training classes are overseen by our Aquatics Training and Operations Assistant, their office hours are Tuesdays - Saturdays. Inquires made Saturdays - Monday may not be responded to until Tuesday afternoon.