Interested in becoming a certified lifeguard?
Harvard University Aquatics is offering American Red Cross certification classes for Lifeguard Training, complete with CPR/AED and First Aid. We also offer Lifeguard Training Review courses for those currently certified as American Red Cross Lifeguards.
In order to particpate in an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards without goggles. Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retreieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend all class sessions.
Blended Learning Classes:
We offer both traditional certification courses as well as Blended Learning web-based/in-classroom style courses. Blended Learning combines online learning with in-person skills sessions conducted by a Red Cross certified instructor. The blended learning online sessions offer students a variety of elements to learn program content including videos, lesson narration and special interactive features. This allows for individualized, self-paced learning. Once the online session has been succesfully completed, students practice skills and are assessed by the instructor during the in-person skills sessions.
Upcoming Course Schedule:
- Sundays and Saturdays July 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th
- 10am – 5:30pm
- Registration Extended!
- Last Day to Register: July 11th
Lifeguard Training: $225
Lifeguard Training Review: $150
Participants in the Lifeguard Training course will be provided with all equipment including access to an electronic version of the textbook and pocket masks. Participants in the Lifeguard Training Review course must provide their own adult and pediatric pocket masks.
If you are interested in signing up for a course, please email email@example.com. Please provide your name, phone number, email address and specify which class you would like to sign up for. Pre-registration at the Malkin Athletic Center is required and registration forms are available at the Malkin Center; same day registration is not available. Please email us if you are interested in signing up for a course or go to the Malkin Athletic Center to register.
Please note, the coordination of our Lifeguard Training classes are overseen by our Aquatics Training and Operations Assistant, their office hours are Tuesdays - Saturdays. Inquires made Saturdays - Monday may not be responded to until Tuesday afternoon.