Looking for more information about Group Exercise & programs? Follow Harvard Recreation on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @HarvardRec and Instagram @HarvardRec.
A variety of Group Exercise classes are offered at both the Malkin Athletic Center and Hemenway Gymnasium. Group Exercise offerings include Zumba, Schwinn Indoor Cycling, IndoRow, ShockWave Total Body Circuits, Pilates, Water Fitness, Weight Training 101, Cardio Kickboxing, Yoga, and many more. Classes are offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Reduced schedules are offered in January and May/June. Classes are not progressive, so beginners can drop in at any time during the semester. You do not need to sign up for specific classes, but can try out several classes or attend various classes as your schedule and mood changes.
GROUP EXERCISE SCHEDULES
Group Exercise Class Descriptions This is a 2-page document. Be sure to scroll to page 2 for all descriptions.
How do I participate in Harvard's Group Exercise Classes?
Staff & Faculty: In order to attend Group Exercise classes, you must first have a recreational membership. In addition to your annual or seasonal membership, you will be given the option of four add ons: towel service, class access, squash membership and tennis membership. In the past, class access has been processed in person at the MAC and Hemenway, whereas this year it must be processed in addition to your membership online or in person in the Membership Office at the Malkin Athletic Center when the membership is purchased. Your ID will be activated with the add on information as soon as the purchase is complete. Please note that purchasing class access does not give you facility access. Membership must be purchased separate online or at the Membership Office or by calling 617-496-1585.
Attention Students: Group Exercise Class Access is included in your facility membership free of charge during the academic year. All affiliations must pay for classes in the summer. You must activate your class access before attending classes. Students who fail to activate class access online must pay the $10.00 drop in fee per class.
Please take the following steps:
1. Go to the online membership system through gocrimson.com.
Select "Purchase Membership" from the Recreation menu. There is a link to the online membership system from that page. Or, the direct link to the membership system is https://www.athletics.harvard.edu/membership/
2. Log in with your HUID and pin.
3. Under purchase options, select the class access option and submit. Select class access for the academic year or for a single term (Fall/Spring).
4. Next you will be given the option to join the mailing lists. After deciding if you would like to be added to the mailing list you must submit this page in order to complete your order. Your card will be automatically updated with class access.
What if I just want to try one group exercise class? You can try a group exercise class by paying a $10.00 drop in fee. Choose the class you would like to try and complete the drop in form at the front desk. There is no limit on the number of times you can purchase the drop in fee. **You must have purchased the recreational membership first in order to pay the drop in fee for a class.**
- Classes are operated on a “first come, first served” basis.
- Present valid ID card to the front desk to acquire a class pass.
- Passes will be distributed no earlier than 30 minutes prior for all classes EXCEPT for the 11:30am and 12:15pm land-based classes. For these classes, passes will be distributed no earlier than 15 minutes prior. 12:15pm Water classes may get passes 30 minutes prior
- Once all the passes are distributed, the class is closed. The instructor will collect the passes during class.
- Passes cannot be reserved, and you may not pick up passes for others. If you decide not to attend class, please return the pass to the front desk.
- No participants will be permitted to enter class after 10 minutes* due to safety concerns and to avoid disruptions. *Indoor Cycling, ShockWave & Indo Row participants cannot arrive more than 5 minutes late. All participants should notify the instructor if leaving early.
- Athletic shoes are required for all classes with the exception of Balletone, Yoga and Pilates.
- It is highly recommended that you bring water to class.
- It is strongly suggested that you wear layers for Yoga/Pilates and that you bring your own mat.
- Please note: Class attendance numbers will be monitored and classes with consistently low attendance may be eliminated.
Class Guidelines for Indoor Cycling Classes:
- No participants will be allowed into class after 5 minutes. Please plan accordingly. Instructors are not permitted to make exceptions.
- New indoor cycling participants must arrive to class at least 10 minutes early to obtain instructor assistance with proper bike set-up.
- All indoor cycling participants must bring a water bottle to class.
Private Group Exercise Classes
Organize a private Group Exercise class for your co-workers, friends or sports team. Class formats include Yoga, Indoor Cycling, Zumba, Step, Pilates, TBC & more! Simply complete the private Group Exercise request form.