Looking for more information about
Group Exercise & programs? Become a fan of Harvard Recreation
on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @harvardrec.
A variety of Group Exercise classes are offered at both the Malkin
Athletic Center and Hemenway Gymnasium. Group Exercise offerings
include Zumba, Schwinn Indoor Cycling, IndoRow, ShockWave Total
Body Circuits, Pilates, Water Fitness, Weight Training 101, Cardio
Kickboxing, Yoga, and many more. Classes are offered during the
fall, spring and summer semesters. Reduced schedules are offered in
January and May/June. Classes are not progressive, so
beginners can drop in at any time during the semester. You do not
need to sign up for specific classes, but can try out several
classes or attend various classes as your schedule and mood
How do I participate in Harvard's Group Exercise
Staff & Faculty: In order to attend Group
Exercise classes, you must first have a recreational membership. In
addition to your annual or seasonal membership, you will be given
the option of four add ons: towel service, class access,
squash membership and tennis membership. In the past, class access
has been processed in person at the MAC and Hemenway, whereas this
year it must be processed in addition to your membership online or
in person in the Membership Office at the Malkin Athletic Center
when the membership is purchased. Your ID will be activated
with the add on information as soon as the purchase is complete.
Please note that purchasing class access does not give you facility
access. Membership must be purchased separate online or at the
Membership Office or by calling 617-496-1585.
Attention Students: Group Exercise Class Access
is included in your facility membership free of charge during the
academic year. All affiliations must pay for classes in the summer.
You must activate your class access before attending classes.
Students who fail to activate class access online must pay the
$10.00 drop in fee per class.
Please take the following steps:
1. Go to the online membership system through
Select "Purchase Membership" from the Recreation menu. There is a
link to the online membership system from that page. Or, the direct
link to the membership system is
2. Log in with your HUID and pin.
3. Under purchase options, select the class access option and
submit. Select class access for the academic year or for a single
4. Next you will be given the option to join the mailing lists.
After deciding if you would like to be added to the mailing list
you must submit this page in order to complete your order. Your
card will be automatically updated with class access.
What if I just want to try one group exercise class? You can
try a group exercise class by paying a $10.00 drop in fee. Choose
the class you would like to try and complete the drop in form at
the front desk. There is no limit on the number of times you can
purchase the drop in fee. **You must have purchased the
recreational membership first in order to pay the drop in fee for a
- Classes are operated on a “first come, first
- Present valid ID card to the front desk to acquire a class
- Passes will be distributed no earlier than 30 minutes prior for
all classes EXCEPT for the 11:30am
and 12:15pm land-based classes. For
these classes, passes will be distributed no earlier than
minutes prior. 12:15pm Water classes may get
passes 30 minutes prior
- Once all the passes are distributed, the class is closed. The
instructor will collect the passes during class.
- Passes cannot be reserved, and you may not pick up passes for
others. If you decide not to attend class, please return the pass
to the front desk.
- No participants will be permitted to enter class after 10
minutes* due to safety concerns and to avoid
disruptions. *Indoor Cycling, ShockWave & Indo Row participants
cannot arrive more than 5 minutes
late. All participants should notify the instructor if leaving
- Athletic shoes are required for all classes with the exception
of Balletone, Yoga and Pilates.
- It is highly recommended that you bring water to class.
- It is strongly suggested that you wear layers for Yoga/Pilates
and that you bring your own mat.
- Please note: Class attendance numbers will be monitored and
classes with consistently low attendance may be eliminated.
Class Guidelines for Indoor
- No participants will be allowed into class after 5 minutes.
Please plan accordingly. Instructors are not permitted to make
- New indoor cycling participants must arrive to class at least
10 minutes early to obtain instructor assistance with proper bike
- All indoor cycling participants must bring a water bottle to
Organize a private Group Exercise class for your co-workers,
friends or sports team. Class formats include Yoga, Indoor Cycling,
Zumba, Step, Pilates, TBC & more! Simply complete the private Group
Exercise request form.
Group Exercise Class Descriptions